Never Tell Your Problems To Anyone 80% Don’t Care: Quote Explained

In our pursuit of support and understanding, we often turn to others to share our problems and seek solace. However, legendary football coach Lou Holtz offers a thought-provoking perspective with his quote, “Never tell your problems to anyone…20% don’t care, and the other 80% are glad you have them.” This quote challenges our assumptions about sharing personal struggles and raises questions about the motives and reactions of others. In this article, we will explore the origin and delve into the deeper meaning behind this quote. We will analyze the complexities of sharing problems and provide insights into developing healthy support networks.

The Origin of the Quote

The quote “Never tell your problems to anyone…20% don’t care, and the other 80% are glad you have them” is attributed to Lou Holtz, a highly regarded former American football coach. Holtz’s quote encapsulates his observations and experiences, offering a perspective on the potential responses and attitudes of individuals when confronted with the problems of others.

Exploring the Meaning:

The Complex Dynamics of Sharing Problems At its core, the quote highlights the complexity of sharing personal struggles with others. It suggests that a significant portion of people may not genuinely care about our problems, while others might derive some sense of satisfaction or relief from the misfortunes of others. This perspective can lead to skepticism and caution when it comes to sharing our vulnerabilities.

The quote raises important questions about the motives and reactions of individuals in response to someone else’s problems. It prompts us to reflect on the nature of empathy, compassion, and human connection. While it is true that not everyone will exhibit genuine concern or offer meaningful support, it is crucial to recognize that the quote presents a generalization and does not encompass the entirety of human behavior.

Expanding the Topic:

Cultivating Healthy Support Networks While Lou Holtz’s quote offers a cautionary perspective, it is essential to strike a balance in sharing our problems and seeking support. Here are some key considerations for cultivating healthy support networks:

  1. Discernment in Sharing: Recognize the importance of discernment when choosing whom to share your problems with. Seek out individuals who have demonstrated empathy, trustworthiness, and a genuine interest in your well-being. Building a network of trusted confidants can provide valuable emotional support.
  2. Active Listening: When someone shares their problems with you, practice active listening. Show genuine empathy and create a safe space for them to express themselves. Even if you cannot offer a solution, your willingness to listen can make a significant difference in their experience.
  3. Seek Professional Help: In certain situations, professional help may be necessary. Therapists, counselors, or support groups can provide specialized guidance and assistance in navigating challenges. Seeking professional support can supplement your existing support network and provide expert advice.
  4. Empathy and Compassion: Cultivate empathy and compassion in your interactions with others. Even if you cannot personally relate to their specific problems, extending kindness and understanding can help create a supportive environment. Remember that offering a listening ear and expressing empathy can be impactful, even if you cannot directly solve someone’s problems.


Lou Holtz’s quote on sharing problems challenges us to reconsider the dynamics of seeking support and empathy. While it reminds us that not everyone may respond with genuine care or concern, it should not discourage us from reaching out for support. Instead, it emphasizes the importance of cultivating healthy support networks, practicing discernment in sharing our problems, and fostering empathy and compassion in our interactions with others. By understanding the complexities of sharing problems, we can develop meaningful connections and find the support we need when facing life’s challenges.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *